Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Fire Damage Tips
During the aftermath of a fire, your belongings and the structure of your property both suffer. While the most important thing is always to make sure that your safety and the safety of others is intact, you should also be weary of handling your personal items that have experienced damage.SERVPRO of North Fort Myers advises to allow professionals to handle the situation as you did for extinguishing the fire. While we know that the stress fire damage can cause to you and your loved ones is great, it's important to allow trained members of our team be the ones to handle and mitigate the situation.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (239) 573-7911
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.