Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Tips for Water Damage from SERVPRO of N. Fort Myers/Punta Gorda
Water damage can cause lasting damage to your property and to our community. While the cause for water damage can vary, the restoration process after damage is best left to our trained professionals. There are a few tips we can share while you wait for our professionals to arrive. Of course your safety and the safety of others is our main concern. After that, remembering electrical hazards is very important. Also, while you may want to try to lift your items to safety, remember that wet items are going to be much heavier!
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (239) 573-7911
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.